REPORTING TO: THERAPY MANAGER
CLINICAL SUPERVISOR: BEHAVIOUR ANALYST
• Be of good character.
• Have a minimum Level 7 degree in the field of health and social care.
• Have completed professional training in multi-element behaviour support.
• Have an interest in autism and intellectual disabilities.
• Have excellent communication & interpersonal skills.
• Be able to work cohesively as part of a multidisciplinary team
• Have excellent report writing skills.
• Have ability to empathise with service users.
• Have ability to assess behaviours that challenge.
• Be self-motivated and organised.
• Have a full clean driving licence and own vehicle.
• All GALRO staff require to be Garda Vetted at least every three years.
Yearly CPD opportunities are available
MAIN DUTIES OF THE POST:
1. Contribute to improved outcomes for children and adults who present with behaviour challenges.
2. Apply positive behaviour support methods to promote skills and strategies for optimum independence.
3. Carry out comprehensive assessments to define behaviours, and establish function of the presenting behaviour.
4. Analyse presenting behaviour, function of the behaviour and advise reactive strategies.
5. Devise problem-solving strategies to assist service users to cope with challenges in their daily lives.
6. Devise behaviour management plans and behaviour support plans with recommended interventions to improve the overall quality of life for service users.
7. Devise comprehensive positive behaviour support plans with detailed analysis of behaviour, and recommend strategies for implementation by front line staff, including environmental adjustments, alternative retorts, skills teaching techniques, direct interventions and reactive strategies.
8. Contribute to plans for the purpose of providing for a safe and effective care service.
9. Draw up guidelines, procedures and behaviour management training materials, to assist staff to appropriately respond to behaviour challenges.
10. Review behaviour management and behaviour support plans in collaboration with management and front-line staff, recommending improvements, adjustments and change as necessary, to enhance the service users general wellbeing.
11. Conduct workshops and in-service training in behaviour support, to assist front line staff.
12. Participate in meetings and give advice/opinion to the care team.
13. Evaluate reports and documentation, and make recommendations for improvements.
14. Evaluate care plans in respect of support strategies and interventions, and review, revise and update care plans in that regard.
15. Participate in care plan annual reviews in accordance with legislative requirements.
16. Review care procedures, short- and long-term goals in care plans, and provide input. .
17. Assist front line care staff to establish realistic and measurable learning goals.
18. Continuously review care records to ensure the required records are completed correctly and to a high standard, that reflect accurately the delivery of appropriate care.
19. Champion positive behaviour support and develop a shared expertise within the care team.
20. Promote positive and proactive risk assessment and risk management so that service users are enabled to live active and rewarding lives.
21. Review restrictive practices and/or potential restrictive practices and make recommendations that create a least restrictive environment for service users.
22. The post holder is required to work out of hours from time to time and be able to give advice to front line staff over the phone as required.
23. Exercise duties in accordance with Health & Safety Regulations.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties involved and consequently the post holder will be required to perform other duties relevant to the post, which may be assigned from time to time and to be pro-active in developing the post.
The post holder will from time to time have access to or hear information concerning the medical or personal affairs of a client or information relating to other staff or GALRO services generally. Such information is strictly confidential and at no time shall it be divulged, discussed or acted upon except in the performance of normal duty relevant to this post where at all times the post holder will act in the best interest of the client.