Job Title: Occupational Therapist
Location: Based in Kilbixy Paddocks/Balsonna Barn, Co Westmeath
Reporting to: Therapy Manager, GALRO
Yearly CPD opportunities are available.
Candidate will: –
- Be of good character.
- Hold a Third Level degree in Occupational Therapy which is accredited by the relevant Occupational Therapy body.
- Submit proof of registration on the Occupational Therapists Register maintained by the Occupational Therapists Registration Board at CORU.
- Have at least one years’ experience working as an Occupational Therapist.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, report writing skills and be proficient at managing records in electronic format and hard copy.
- Have a keen interest in working with individuals presenting with ASD and ID.
- Have ability to provide support and advice to people with various presentations, challenges and personalities.
- Have ability to assess a person’s condition, formulate, implement and advise on the implementation of a treatment plan.
- Be able to apply conventional treatments and use technology in various treatment plans and tasks.
- Have up to date knowledge of practices in Occupational Therapy support in social care settings.
- Be willing to give sound professional advice to front line care staff and families in relation to Occupational Therapy needs of service users.
- Be self-motivated to strive for the highest standards in Occupational Therapy.
- All GALRO staff require to be Garda Vetted at least every three years.
Principal Function: –
To evaluate client Occupational Therapy needs, identify Occupational Therapy requirements, formulate treatment plans and treat clients who present with various congenital conditions, illnesses or injuries, using specialised equipment and the therapeutic application of daily activity.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities: –
- To deliver an Occupational Therapy service in GALRO of the highest clinical standard.
- Responsible for Occupational Therapy assessments, formulation of treatment plans and overseeing the application of Occupational Therapy interventions.
- To liaise and communicate effectively and supportively with management, care staff and multi-disciplinary team members.
- Maintain accurate electronic and hard copy records in line with clinical governance, GALRO requirements and GDPR regulation.
- Responsible for supervision of Occupational Therapy Assistants, guiding and supporting them in their day to day duties.
- To act as a resource for front line care staff to consult with for the purpose of enhancing quality of care in relation to Occupational Therapy interventions.
- Establish a suitable Occupational Therapy referral system that meets the needs of clients, GALRO and is in compliance with clinical governance, best practice and legislative requirements.
- Conduct physical assessments of clients referred, with clearly documented risk assessments associated with the therapeutic environment and/or treatment plan.
- Develop treatment plans to be applied in various environments including home, community and controlled environments.
- Develop specific rehabilitation programmes at Balsonna Barn that help clients gain lost skills and co-ordinate scheduled therapies.
- Assess home environments and recommend adjustments needed to enhance the quality of life of the clients.
- Advise on adaptive equipment to help clients with daily activities, sleep hygiene, mobility and physical supports.
- Advise care staff and families on the application of treatments, treatment methods and the use of specific equipment required.
- Integrate and apply technology at Balsonna Barn to effect suitable treatment plans.
- Evaluate results and progress of Occupational Therapy treatments.
- Support Occupational Therapy Assistants to maintain/develop professional standards of good practice.
- Undertake and participate in clinical audits.
- Present positive representation of the Occupational Therapy service at GALRO.
- Engage in support/supervision with Occupational Therapist Lead and participate in a performance review.
- Attend and participate at professional meetings, case conferences, team meetings, reviews and educator courses as appropriate. Ensure note of meetings are prepared and clearly reflect Occupational Therapy input before filing.
- Give information and advice, and represent a professional approach to therapy on behalf of GALRO at clinical meetings, management meetings and HSE reviews.
- Prepare professional reports relevant to Occupational Therapy input and promote the best interest and wellbeing of service users at meetings, reviews and conferences.
- Submit quarterly statistics to management with details of number of clients awaiting services, assessments conducted, therapy in progress and discharges.
- Manage Occupational Therapy stock and equipment.
- Keep up to date with software development for electronic equipment at Balsonna Barn and download as required.
- Maintain high standard of housekeeping in the therapy space at Balsonna Barn.
- Exercise duties in accordance with all legislative requirements in relation to the role.
- Other duties and responsibilities appropriate to the role that may be required from time to time.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties involved and consequently the post holder will be required to perform other duties relevant to the post that may be assigned from time to time and to be pro-active in developing the post.
The post holder will from time to time have access to or hear information concerning the medical or personal affairs of a client or information relating to other staff or GALRO services generally. Such information is strictly confidential and at no time shall it be divulged, discussed or acted upon except in the performance of normal duty relevant to this post where at all times the post holder will act in the best interest of the client.